Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> I don't think so: in a generic plugin system, parts of the driver could be
> moved into userspace plugins.
is it a safe and secure way?

> It's not just format conversion: there certainly is/will be hardware that
> needs complex image processing and filtering for the incoming video, and
> likely some features computed from the video image need to be fed back to
> the driver to control the camera.
...yes, DNS required everyday.... we need to incorporate bind into the
kernel... OH! a receive emails all day round... hm... and XWindow...

> For example, I get mjpeg-compressed video from the camera that I need to
> uncompress and compute the image brightness. The brightness then controls
> the camera exposure time. Another example: automatic focus control.
it is very specific things. why not the side library?

> Besides, users have asked me to implement things like flipping image upside
> down in the driver, because they have mounted the camera into ceiling or
> something. With a proper plugin system, this should be possible with all
> video applications by just editing ~/.gstreamer.conf or something to tell
> the pipeline that "insert somewhere a flip plugin".
plugin system means, that driver is isolated from other kernel parts.
drivers have exclusive access to the memory and BUSes (it is fast and
unsafe).
if it is a user-level driver, maybe, it is a good idea. but it is not a
kernel SU level, and there is a need for a driver in such space (or,
maybe, I'm not correct). and, really, user-space driver a wrapper library
in that case.