Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Billy Biggs wrote:

>  Oh great, you've written yet another driver that does format
>conversion in the kernel?

Yes (well, not from scratch... credits go to other people too)

>  When will these webcam authors (yourself included!) write a userspace
>library for webcams that does all of these different format conversions

Let me repeat myself: when I find time I will write a Gstreamer plugin.

However, *even* if there would be such a plugin, it would break in practice
*all* applications.

Think it yourself: could you stop using any video programs at all right
now? I don't think so. If I wouldn't do format conversions in the kernel,
that is what I would force users of the driver to do. That is, nobody would
do absolutely nothing with the driver and there wouldn't be point writing
it in the first place anyway.

Complain to application programmers for not supporting Gstreamer, not me.

[disclaimer: I haven't yet verified that Gstreamer is the solution into the
problem, but it seems to be the best possibility I have found. And yes, at
one time I was actually planning to write such a library, until I found
Gstreamer]