Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxx):

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > The waste of memory argument only works if you ignore user space.
> > If the driver doesn't provide multiple buffers, then the application
> > has to.  The buffers are still there, they've just moved.
>
> You missed some messages? Yes, the buffers are still there, internal
> to the driver. They just aren't mmapped because the data in the
> internal buffers is in format which is not understood by any user
> application anyway (except my special test program).

  Oh great, you've written yet another driver that does format
conversion in the kernel?

  When will these webcam authors (yourself included!) write a userspace
library for webcams that does all of these different format conversions
in userspace where they belong.  At this point there are more drivers
being patched than the total sum of applications you would have to
(trivially!) patch to support your abstraction library.

  -Billy