Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:

>The waste of memory argument only works if you ignore user space.  If the
>driver doesn't provide multiple buffers, then the application has to.  The
>buffers are still there, they've just moved.

You missed some messages? Yes, the buffers are still there, internal to the
driver. They just aren't mmapped because the data in the internal buffers
is in format which is not understood by any user application anyway
(except my special test program).

Hopefully Gstreamer changes this by allowing me to write an user space
format conversion module as Gstreamer plugin, and then I could directly
mmap the custom format buffers and still have all applications (using
Gstreamer) to work. Unfortunately I haven't yet had time to do this.