Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> >  Oh great, you've written yet another driver that does format
> >conversion in the kernel?
> Yes (well, not from scratch... credits go to other people too)
sorry, but when the kernel became a heap?....
why not to take as an example ALSA?
create a small add-ons library, that can do transformations.

> Think it yourself: could you stop using any video programs at all right
> now? I don't think so. If I wouldn't do format conversions in the kernel,
> that is what I would force users of the driver to do. That is, nobody would
> do absolutely nothing with the driver and there wouldn't be point writing
> it in the first place anyway.
external library is the subject of any experiments: it is clear,
that reqular C code is not an optimal one. PPC have large vector block,
ALPHA... some people can write modules for SIMD etc. and You think, that
the way to place all the code described to the kernel is correct?