Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>ALPHA... some people can write modules for SIMD etc. and You think, that
>the way to place all the code described to the kernel is correct?

No, I don't think. As I have mentioned already couple of times in this
thread, it is only a temporary solution until
- I will have time to write Gstreamer plugin
- Most video applications do support Gstreamer

Gerd wrote:
>allow applications control the drivers buffering.  Your driver should
>just support that instead of hiding the buffers.

Applications will have power to control the buffers as soon as they
can understand the format of the buffers. See the points above.

Well, I could use several internal and mmap buffers like pwc driver. But
since it works so fine right now, I don't want to. And really, you can't
deny that it's the applications that should be fixed which expect at least
two buffers when the specification clearly says that just one may be
available. Unless you say the docs are incorrect...

Actually, maybe there's no point fixing application but maybe they should
be ported right away to Gstreamer =)