Re: Good USB video

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Ed Okerson wrote:

>The Logitech works with the qce-ga driver, but the video is terrible, and

Have you loaded the driver with option "interpolation=1"?
It makes the quality much better.

>it refuses to work with the newer qc-usb driver, but I don't know if that

Well, this is very annoying thing. Could you load qc-usb with option
"debug=-1" and send the kernel log to me? (I couldn't find that you would
have done this already). Does the driver recognize at all the camera, or
what's wrong?

>would affect the video quality anyway.  The frame rate appears to be very
>low,

qce-ga had problems with certain cameras with HDCS-1020 sensor. Try cvs
version if possible (I don't remember if stable version has a fix, cvs
should).

However, you can't expect more than 7.5 fps with full size video.

> and any motion at all causes horrible distortion of the video.  The

Hmm, shouldn't happen. Something is wrong. I guess this happens due to
exposure control, and it should be better with qc-usb (or disable exposure
control--easy with qc-usb, for qce-ga there is a patch:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/quickcam-web-autoexp.patch
but it might not apply cleanly against newest versions)

>motion, although not quite as bad as the Logitech.  I would like to find
>something that approaches the quality that I get from a BT878 capture card
>with an NTSC camera attached.  Does such a thing exist for USB?  PTZ

The driver would need compression support, otherwise USB bandwidth is too
little. Many vendors think that their compression support is so bad that
they don't want to tell anyone how it works, for example Philips. However,
for Philips cameras there's binary-only decompression module. But I don't
think it will have anywhere near bttv image quality.

What about real video camera and a BTTV card?