Re: Good USB video

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Ed Okerson wrote:
>
> >The Logitech works with the qce-ga driver, but the video is terrible, and
>
> Have you loaded the driver with option "interpolation=1"?
> It makes the quality much better.

That helped a little, but the quality is still bad.

> >it refuses to work with the newer qc-usb driver, but I don't know if that
>
> Well, this is very annoying thing. Could you load qc-usb with option
> "debug=-1" and send the kernel log to me? (I couldn't find that you would
> have done this already). Does the driver recognize at all the camera, or
> what's wrong?

Well, the debug=-1 on quickcam didn't make it log any more, but here is
what I get:

Aug  6 07:22:45 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver quickcam
Aug  6 07:22:45 localhost kernel: quickcam: QuickCam USB camera found
(driver version QuickCam USB $Date: 2003/06/30 10:04:40 $)
Aug  6 07:22:45 localhost kernel: quickcam: Sensor VV6410 detected

Then when I run xawtv it gives:

[eokerson@localhost eokerson]$ xawtv
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.20)
can't open /dev/video0: Broken pipe
v4l2: open /dev/video0: Broken pipe
v4l: open /dev/video0: Broken pipe
no video grabber device available
[eokerson@localhost eokerson]$

and then log then shows:

Aug  6 07:23:01 localhost kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1355
Aug  6 07:23:01 localhost kernel: quickcam: sensor initialization failed: -32

> >would affect the video quality anyway.  The frame rate appears to be very
> >low,
>
> However, you can't expect more than 7.5 fps with full size video.

Ouch.

> > and any motion at all causes horrible distortion of the video.  The
>
> Hmm, shouldn't happen. Something is wrong. I guess this happens due to
> exposure control, and it should be better with qc-usb (or disable exposure
> control--easy with qc-usb, for qce-ga there is a patch:
> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/quickcam-web-autoexp.patch
> but it might not apply cleanly against newest versions)
>
> >motion, although not quite as bad as the Logitech.  I would like to find
> >something that approaches the quality that I get from a BT878 capture card
> >with an NTSC camera attached.  Does such a thing exist for USB?  PTZ
>
> The driver would need compression support, otherwise USB bandwidth is too
> little. Many vendors think that their compression support is so bad that
> they don't want to tell anyone how it works, for example Philips. However,
> for Philips cameras there's binary-only decompression module. But I don't
> think it will have anywhere near bttv image quality.
>
> What about real video camera and a BTTV card?

There is no PCI slot on the laptop.  I also have a Hauppauge USB-Live, but
there don't appear to any Linux drivers available for it.

Ed Okerson