Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

Hey,

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:31, alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> thus, a small driver will take in a primitive case:
> 768x576x3x16(12 packed into words) = 2654208 bytes.
> to make all calculations, one will need additional buffers (2-3) -> up to
> 7Mb of kernel space. +doublebuffering+additional space for user buffers
> etc...
> +somebody likes to have inhibit user access control, just in the kernel.

If you're talking about a webcam, sure. Or would you want to capture
into vanity? And do you really expect that a top-level lib will require
less memory? Of course not, it will use just the same buffers, but in
userspace. And you don't need a wrapper for that, a helper lib can do
just the same.

I don't see how a wrapper lib would suddenly solve all world problems at
once, plus the ones that cannot be solved alltogether.

> if a user is not watching an image from a camera, why kernel is eating
> memory?

That's not supposed to happen. And either way, you'd need to "fix" the
driver to not do this. Tuukka already said he had plans to do this, so I
see no reason to worry.

Ronald

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>