Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> OK.
> tomorrow, framegrabbers -> 12bit -> to bus (RGB), PCI bus -> 64 bit, TV
> -> HDTV. etc.
> thus, a small driver will take in a primitive case:
> 768x576x3x16(12 packed into words) = 2654208 bytes.
> to make all calculations, one will need additional buffers (2-3) -> up to
> 7Mb of kernel space. +doublebuffering+additional space for user buffers
> etc...

No.  We can do DMA to userspace, and drivers actually do that.
Additionally, with the amount of data we are talking about with video
you certainly want to avoid any conversion and/or copying of the data
if possible.  Advanced applications likely want to negotiate with the
driver what the hardware can do and what it can't do.  I don't see how
some library sitting between driver and application, doing magic
things like converting frames, can help anything here.

> if a user is not watching an image from a camera, why kernel is eating
> memory?

It isn't eating kernel memory if idle.  At least not the recent
versions of drivers I'm maintaining ...

  Gerd

--
sigfault