Re: Webcam HOWTO

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Billy Biggs wrote:

>> I'm not pushing qc-usb for inclusion into kernel (and even less
>> qce-ga) because it does format conversions which isn't allowed. But
>> without that we wouldn't have application support.
>  Are you trying to help applications support for the camera's native
>format?

Applications, no, user space libraries, yes, when I have time. But right
now I don't, hopefully later.

>  By your tone it sounds like you're annoyed.  I thought the idea was to

The situation (=no standard libraries) is a bit annoying, but there are
people (at least Gstreamer) doing work which should improve it.
But I didn't meant to sound like annoyed (just explain that it doesn't
look likely the cam gets into kernel anytime soon).

>move towards decoder libraries for applications though, rather than
>having every webcam driver do expensive format versions in kernel space.
>How far are we from this goal, are we moving at all?

Hmm, I think it depends who you ask (whether he likes Gstreamer or not).
I'm not taking much position yet, I must first get acquainted with it.