Re: SAA7133/7134 FV3K

> That appears to be the exact card that I have in my machine.  Same saa
> chip, same sonix chip, tuner appears to be the same.  When you run
> xawtv, can you run it with xvideo or do you have to run 'xawtv -noxv'?

That part works fine for me.

> I'm also having a little problem where I can't use xvideo with xawtv.
> After checking around a bit, I am pretty sure that xvideo does in fact
> work on my system becuase I can utilize it with mplayer.  I'm curious if
> this is another quirk with the saa7133 driver and if you are having this
> trouble too?

Only thing I can think of here is to set xawtv to "GrabDisplay". Not sure if
that is related as I don't have these problems.

> As far as playing with the code and finding the right 'magic numbers',
> if I knew what to do I would give it a shot.   A link Hermann posted for
> me a while ago seemed to show that it might be possible to extract this
> information from the windows drivers?

I believe people use a reasonably famous Windows device driver debugger
known as Black Ice for that. I used to see it referred to in a lot of
programming journals, but I've never used it myself. I'm more a systems guy
so all this interfacing with hardware stuff is still a bit odd to me.

> saa7133 has better audio than the saa7134?  I don't know about that :)
> I'd prefer working audio to broken audio!
>
> Have you tried using the composite input to see if audio works for you
> there? It doesn't for me...

I did try that some time ago when I hadn't yet figured out the tuner=39
trick. Long story but I don't have access to something to output the video
tonight so I'll try that later, but I think I made some progress anyways:

First, I've attached a diff that should apply to saa7134-0.2.8 that will at
least get our cards properly detected and initiated to the right tuner. It
also should give us a place to play with the settings, as this is what I
believe Hermann was referring to. The audio_clock, gpios, vmuxs,... seem the
things to play with.

I've also, for the first time, actually seen the audio thread actually
detect something. All I hear is something like buzzing or static when this
happens, but dmesg shows something like:
"saa7133[0]/audio: detailed status: ####### SAP noise mute ###### init done"
or another message around a pilot EAIJ detected. So, some small progress.

You might also double check you have tried the OSS=1 module param setting
unless you are using pure Alsa in 2.6 which I understand to be possible?

- Dave