Re: lml33+lavtools video imperfections

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 22:11, Steve Tell wrote:
> > Does "couldn't handle the throughput" relate mainly to overrunning the
> > pci-bus DMA bandwidth to memory that the card can get in a particular
> > system, Or does the zoran's jpeg encoder hardware itself get confused when
> > a picture is too complex?
>
> DMA. There's apparently some settings on the card that influence this.
> I've seen some "private" PCI settings on the Iomega Buz (thanks to the

Thanks for that hint.  I'll continue fiddling with my system's settings to
see if anything helps.

> Iomega engineers for giving me this data ;) ) that affect throughput.
> Something tells me that the DC10+ also has these settings. The win32
> driver definately has better throughput than ours (this is noticeable in
> full-screen overlay). However, without proper datasheets, this is hard
> to find out myself. Then again, our driver is much more stable and gives
> better quality capture compared to the win32 driver, so I don't really
> see much of an issue here (yet). ;).

I have the zoran chips' datasheets, and the reference-board tech manual
including schematics, all downloaded from Linux Media Labs' web site some
time ago. I assume you have all of these:
ZR36067 "AV PCI Controller", March 1998, 48 pages
ZR36060 "Integrated JPEG Codec" January 1998, 44 pages
ZR736342 "ZR36060 Reference Design Board technical reference manual,"
July 17, 1997, 30 pages.

Steve