Re: lml33+lavtools video imperfections

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 04:42, Steve Tell wrote:
> > ++: Corrupt JPEG data: 201 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd9
> > ++: Corrupt JPEG data: 87 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd9
>
> It means you recorded at a too high quality, the card couldn't handle
> the data throughput, it only delivered partial frames, which are
> invalid. Don't forget that the "new" driver has twice the quality of the
> "old" driver at the same quality level given to lavrec. So -q50 in the
> new driver is similar to -q100 of the old driver. Experimenting is the
> only way to find the optimal levels, I haven't found a good way of
> autodetecting this.

Does "couldn't handle the throughput" relate mainly to overrunning the
pci-bus DMA bandwidth to memory that the card can get in a particular
system, Or does the zoran's jpeg encoder hardware itself get confused when
a picture is too complex?

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.  I had tried a few different -q settings,
and while I seemed to get slightly fewer of these errors at -q50 than at
-q80, it didn't seem dramatic.  I'll experiment further.  Adjusting the
zoran cards PCI latency timer didn't seem to have much affect.

Another error I see sometimes is "timeout syncing on a buffer" which
causes lavrec to die.  This happened a lot with -d2 320x240ish capture
from VHS tape until I turned on my VCR's timebase corrector.  I never saw
it with -d1 full-screen-interlaced camera input, so this error seems
related most strongly to bad input video is that true?

Is hacking on (lib)lavrec to make it restart when a "timeout" occurs
likely to be fruitful?  I'm interested in doing live-performance recording
from a camera, where dropping out for even a half second a few times
an hour would be bad, but much more tolerable than aborting entirely
and requiring manual intervention.

thanks for your help, Ronald.
Steve