Re: Webcam HOWTO

Reply to the mail from Howard Shane (hshane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> C'mon folks, this is your chance to particpate in what makes Linux
> great: peer review! Plus an accurate HOWTO will (hopefully) decrease the
> number of clueless posts to the list. I like to think I wrote a perfect
> document the first time...but I know better. ;^)
>
> The link again is http://hshanemd.net/docs/HOWTOS/Webcam/index.html
> Thanks for any and all input.

I have some info to the ieee1394 section:

I know of two dedicated ieee1394 webcams:
1.) The C102T from Aplux - better known as Unibrain Fire-i.
2.) The Apple iSight.

Both cameras are supported by a lib called libdc1394 ( sf.net/projects/libdc1394 ).
The latest CVS version of this lib is required for the Apple iSight.

The Apple camera also has a built in microphone but it is not supported with linux.

I found an explanation on how to use these cameras with GnomeMeeting and ohphone at this
location:

http://www.rmatsumoto.org/camera/dc1394-ohphone.html

There is a specialized application to use these cameras. It�s called "coriander"
( sf.net/projects/coriander ).
With this application, it is also possible to make these cameras video4linux compatible. So
they propably work with more applications than just GnomeMeeting and ohphone. Coriander itself
also has some functionality to enable a camera as a web cam ( eg. it can upload the images
of the camera to a ftp-server ).

There may be some more ieee1394 cameras which qualify as a cheap webcam. Daniel Douxchamps lists
should contain them:

http://www.tele.ucl.ac.be/PEOPLE/DOUXCHAMPS/ieee1394/cameras/

 -Arne