Re: RDS driver development

> > The "rds_decode()" function could be used in a driver almost as it is. Or
> > do I misunderstand something ?
>
> It is probably more useful to pass the raw 3-byte rds data blocks from
> the kernel into userspace and do the actual decoding of the data
> within the application (or a shared library).

I thought about that, too. Mainly because there are so many different RDS data
blocks, and many of those are "Open Data Applications" that might only be
available in a few cities. It's easier to make changes or add-ons in a user
space application/library. Most data blocks could/should be converted to
strings, which would make a kernel driver unneccesarily large.

How would you solve the problem of reading data periodically without losing
bytes ?

> I also think it would be nice to build that as i2c sub-driver (much
> like the tuner module), so you can just open(/dev/radio),
> ioctl(S_FREQ), ioctl(S_FMT, RDS), read() to get the RDS data.
>
>   Gerd

As long as the RDS decoder is a I2C device... Did you ever come across
something else ?

Do you think a "/dev/rds" is completely stupid ?

Hans