Re: RDS driver development

"H.-J. Koch" <koch@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I thought about that, too. Mainly because there are so many different RDS data
> blocks, and many of those are "Open Data Applications" that might only be
> available in a few cities.

Exactly.  Attempting to decode that in the kernel isn't very clever IMHO.

> How would you solve the problem of reading data periodically without losing
> bytes ?

The polling of the i2c device can be done either with a kernel thread
or with tasklets (2.6 only).  Most existing code uses a kernel thread
for historical reasons.  ir-kbd-i2c.c polls the IR receiver chip using
tasklets, fetch a recent bttv9 snapshot if you want to have a look how
it is done.

> As long as the RDS decoder is a I2C device... Did you ever come across
> something else ?

I'm not yet.  Maybe others?  This isn't the first discussion about
RDS, and IIRC there was also some other hardware than the philips i2c
receiver.

> Do you think a "/dev/rds" is completely stupid ?

Just handling RDS with the existing radio device is the best way IMHO.
It is very radio related after all.  There is more than one way to do
it through ...

  Gerd

--
You have a new virus in /var/mail/kraxel