Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Richard Smith wrote:
> [...]
|> |
|> |
|> | Any specific reasons you would consider this card?
|>
|> Because it captures mpeg2 for you and does all the time intensive
|> compression in real time. ;)
|>

| I'm not sure I want to capure in a lossy compressed format.  Some of the
| VHS tapes I want to convert aren't the best quality of recordings.  Some
| are copies of a copy that was shot with a home VHS camcorder.  Not the
| most friendly of sources for MPEG input.
|
| I'm thinkingiI'd like to be able post-process the files with something
| like VirtualDub before I compress them.

Try the yuv capture, once it is fixed up (see below).

| I believe that my system is capable of handleing the IO requirements
| that raw YUV capture will involve.  Assuming that I use the HuffYUV codec.
|
|> Goto http://ivtv.sf.net/ for the PVR-250/350 driver and info under Linux.
|

| Thanks for the link.. there was some good info there.  How up are you on
| the latest versions of the driver?  The info on  the web page suggested
| that YUV output is not quite there yet.  Something about having to fix
| the YUV form the card into a more standard arangement.

I actually develop some of the supporting perl scripts for recording
videos via cron, etc for the project.

I played with the YUV capture right after he started implementing it,
but never got anything to work, so I've left that alone for awhile.

The format is in Hauppauges yuv format instead of the format the xawtv
is expecting, so until they write a conversion routine, etc. I believe
you can only view it via mplayer.

- --
James A. Pattie
james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx