Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Richard Smith wrote:
| Billy Biggs wrote:
|
|>   The WinTV PVR-250 hardware encoder is also worth considering.
|

| Any specific reasons you would consider this card?

Because it captures mpeg2 for you and does all the time intensive
compression in real time. ;)

| I see that there is a PVR-350 as well.  Look like the same card with the
| addition of an IR remote.

The PVR-350 has a hardware decoder and I believe a radio tuner.
The PVR-250 rev1 also had a hardware decoder, while the rev2 (which I
have) doesn't have the hardware decoder.  My 250 does have a IR remote,
but it seems to be upto the version/vendor you get the card from.

| It lists a sound card in the requrements but the features show audio
| capture.  Does it have its own audio capture or do you have to use the
| sound card.

You only need the sound card to play back the audio through.  It does
it's own internal audio capturing via an msp34xx chip.  The nice thing
is you get the mpeg2 with audio/video already put together.  The latest
versions of the driver does a really good job at keeping them synced up.

The longest I've recorded has been a 2 hour show and I didn't see any
sync issues after burning to dvd and playing on my hardware DVD player.

| I think I'd really like to find a device that capures audio as well that
| way I don't have to mess with all this audio drift stuff.
|
| I actually got my AIW Radeon 7500 to capture under Windows2000.  (After
| much pain) but none of the apps I tried could keep audio sync over an
| extended time.  Even the ones that claimed to do audio re-sampleing they
| either crashed or just didn't seem to work.

Goto http://ivtv.sf.net/ for the PVR-250/350 driver and info under Linux.

- --
James A. Pattie
james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx