Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Richard A. Smith responded:

>Whats the correct frame size for a SVCD?  Actually I'm pretty confused
>on video format resolutions as a whole.  Any pointers to a tutorial that
>describes what resolution goes to what?

IIRC, it is 440x480.

>> Go firewire.  You can get an external analog to DV firewire converter that
>> will then allow you to transfer the audio and video into your computer as
>> DV files (2 GB per 9:20).  You quality will be better, such as it is with VHS,
>> and you can convert to VCD and later DVD.
>
>Any recommendations on devices?  I just happen to have a firewire card
>already.

I think somewhere in my thousands of e-mail messages is a brand name of
a standalone DV <-> firewire converter.  Off the top of my head I can't
remember the brand.  A google search should find something.  They are in the
$500 range.  Do a search on advc100.  I just looked at my PDF file names
(can't open it the way I'm logged in to my computer) and that name looks right.

>I was under the impression that DV was a compressed format.  So that any
>extra processing of the video would involve de-compression and then
>re-compression into the final format.  Is this the case?

Pretty much anything you do is compressed.  You can't grab uncompressed
720x480 29.97 fps video and audio fast enough.  Plus, the file space needed
would be a killer.  But, DV is intraframe and is not compressed as heavy
as MPEG-2, so it is easier to work with.

I do DV to DVD and have not seen any problems, other than normal MPEG-2
compression artifacts.  My source consists of analog C-Band sat feeds and
4:2:2 MPEG-2 sat feeds, which I record onto DVCAM tape.

I'm extremely happy that I got into DVCAM recording years ago.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign