Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Vidiot wrote:

Forget analog cards.  That is the past.  While VHS is not a good source for
DVDs, the correct frame size for DVDs is 720x480, not 640x480.

Whats the correct frame size for a SVCD? Actually I'm pretty confused on video format resolutions as a whole. Any pointers to a tutorial that describes what resolution goes to what?

Go firewire.  You can get an external analog to DV firewire converter that
will then allow you to transfer the audio and video into your computer as
DV files (2 GB per 9:20).  You quality will be better, such as it is with VHS,
and you can convert to VCD and later DVD.

Any recommendations on devices? I just happen to have a firewire card already.

I was under the impression that DV was a compressed format. So that any extra processing of the video would involve de-compression and then re-compression into the final format. Is this the case?

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx