Re: Redhat & Multimedia

Dmitri wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 00:17, Van Den Abeele Kristof wrote:
>

>> A want to improve the multimedia capabilities of my RedhatBox. I'm
>> looking for a TV Card & a Webcam. Anybody had experiences ( bad &
>> good ) with some brands - types - ...
>>
>> The Webcam would be for monitoring my house through a webpage. A
>> was thinking apache for the server , but I don't know how to send
>> streaming video with httml pages ...
>

> If you -really- want streaming video (which you don't!) then you can
> always use RealNetworks' basic server (it is free, IIRC). Indeed,
> HTML and/or HTTP are of little relevance here, since most of
> streaming stuff uses special protocols for better performance.
>
> But you don't want streaming video (watching an empty house) because
> there is nothing to watch! At the same time, you want to see and
> record everything that happens after a movement is detected. To do
> that, you need to add recording stuff, and movement detection
> software. There are plenty of tools to do the former, and some to do
> the latter.

I use a program called 'motion' to track movement and take snaps. I use it for a camera I installed outside of my garage door, for various reasons (knowing when someone pulls up, had some problems with vandalism on that side of the house).

The up side is that motion is very tuneable, senstivity, limiting snaps per second and such things. The down side is that it's highly cpu intensive, eats about 95% on any machine I've run it on, although I've currently dedicated a p166 to that effort.

> To observe the house as it is, all you need is to grab a frame on
> demand. To do that, the Web server will run a CGI script each time a
> page is requested, and the script will fetch the current image from a
>  webcam. There are many tools to do that (camE, xawtv's webcam etc.)

xawtv-remote is a good effort here, or streamer. Both come with xawtv as I recall. xawtv-remote requires xawtv to be running to get a snap. You can get a single snap with streamer without xawtv running.

>> The TV Card is for watching tv :)
>

> I have some Pinnacle-made BT848/878 card. It worked very well on my
> old computer, but does not work on the new one. I never investigated
> that because the TV deteriorated way beyond my tolerance level, and
> the card is just peacefully sitting in a box.

wintv here, works excellent.

>> Is it possible to view tv from multiple X-clients at the same time;
>>  using xawtv of some kind. Of course all on the same channel I
>> presume ...

I don't know how you would view the same 'window' on different clients at the same time, if that's what you're asking. I have viewed xawtv for my driveway-cam on that machine and now on another, using standard X solutions.

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric@xxxxxxxxxxxx