Re: Redhat & Multimedia

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 00:17, Van Den Abeele Kristof wrote:

> A want to improve the multimedia capabilities of my RedhatBox. I'm looking for a TV Card & a Webcam. Anybody had experiences ( bad & good ) with some brands - types - ...
>
> The Webcam would be for monitoring my house through a webpage.
> A was thinking apache for the server , but I don't know how to send streaming video with httml pages ...

If you -really- want streaming video (which you don't!) then you can
always use RealNetworks' basic server (it is free, IIRC). Indeed, HTML
and/or HTTP are of little relevance here, since most of streaming stuff
uses special protocols for better performance.

But you don't want streaming video (watching an empty house) because
there is nothing to watch! At the same time, you want to see and record
everything that happens after a movement is detected. To do that, you
need to add recording stuff, and movement detection software. There are
plenty of tools to do the former, and some to do the latter.

To observe the house as it is, all you need is to grab a frame on
demand. To do that, the Web server will run a CGI script each time a
page is requested, and the script will fetch the current image from a
webcam. There are many tools to do that (camE, xawtv's webcam etc.)

> The TV Card is for watching tv :)

I have some Pinnacle-made BT848/878 card. It worked very well on my old
computer, but does not work on the new one. I never investigated that
because the TV deteriorated way beyond my tolerance level, and the card
is just peacefully sitting in a box.

> Is it possible to view tv from multiple X-clients at the same time;
> using xawtv of some kind. Of course all on the same channel I presume ...

One channel per tuner, that's for sure.

I am not aware of any v4l "splitter". It is possible, but I don't know
if anyone bothered to make one. There are 2 issues involved.

The BT848 board can access your video card in "overlay" mode. But this
requires a local computer, so only one user can watch it this way.

Another way, with "xawtv -remote", is to access some /dev/video on a
computer with a card and forward X onto another computer (X server).
This will work remotely, but again only for one client (because
/dev/video access is read-write - you need to control the card - and two
open() won't work).

What can be done, though, is the same trick - run a RealVideo server on
the computer with the card, and anyone can watch the stream over the
network. xawtv package can be easily controlled with xawtv-remote, IIRC.

Dmitri