Re: Fix for AV-sync with FFMPEGrec

Alan Cox (alan@xxxxxxxxxx):

> Converting NTSC/PAL is hard. Some of the DVD players do a good job and
> they don't get jerking on a slow pan. I'm not sure how they do it, but
> I'd guess someone is interpolating the mpeg motion vectors ?

  I fear MPEG's motion vectors since they aren't necessarily based on
actual motion, but I know there has been some research into using them
for deinterlacing and rate conversion.  How expensive are these
NTSC-to-PAL converting players? :)

> PAL recorded CNN (not that anyone actually cares about CNN in PAL land)
> doesn't jump at 25fps 8)

  You mean a PAL feed of CNN?  How are you deinterlacing?  Are you only
capturing single fields (like 720x288 or even 352x288)?  It may be that
25 fields evenly spaced over the 59.94 fields in an NTSC-second doesn't
screw the text scroll that much, but I'd be surprised.

  An awesome article on rate conversion:
  http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archive/TVBROADCAST/TempRate.asp

  My page on rate conversion and sync issues:
  http://www.dumbterm.net/graphics/refresh/

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx