Re: Fix for AV-sync with FFMPEGrec

Billy Biggs wrote:

> Alan Cox (alan@xxxxxxxxxx):
>
> > Converting NTSC/PAL is hard. Some of the DVD players do a good job and
> > they don't get jerking on a slow pan. I'm not sure how they do it, but
> > I'd guess someone is interpolating the mpeg motion vectors ?
>
>   I fear MPEG's motion vectors since they aren't necessarily based on
> actual motion, but I know there has been some research into using them
> for deinterlacing and rate conversion.  How expensive are these
> NTSC-to-PAL converting players? :)

  I have a Sampo 620 which is a VERY cheap DVD player, probably
about the same price as a cheap DVD player you can buy at
Walmart. Certainly <<$200us.

  Anyways, with appropriate secret menu enabled, it will
convert PAL<=>NTSC. It can play either NTSC or PAL DVDs and
output in NTSC always, PAL always, or whatever the DVD
is in. (the same secret menu also has region selection
and macrovision defeat, which makes it a useful item to
have around)

  It likely does the cheapest method possible to do
the PAL to NTSC conversion, but I have watched PAL DVDs
on my NTSC TV without noticing anything too disgusting.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx