Re: VS: OT? deinterlacing

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:41:56AM -0000, Joni Kähärä wrote:
> > Is there any way to deinterlace the TV picture? I've found a
> > software like
> > this for Windows and it's GNU, I think that they don't have no
> > one to port it
>
> The interlace effect comes from the fact that each frame is sent
> in two fields, even and odd. Normal video cameras sample the image
> twice for each frame. So, object moving in the image has moved
> between these fields and this causes 'comb' artifacts. TV-studios
> use more expensive cameras that sample the whole frame just once
> and therefore you do not see any combing. You have to buy this
> type of camera, I think. Or grab every second field and strech
> 2x in Y-direction, which is ugly.

I believe the original poster is referring to the DScaler project
(http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/).  No special camera required.
This application for Win32 does just what the original poster wants.
It's essentially a line-doubler (or multiplier) similar to what
standalone devices in home theaters and such do.