Re: Re: MSP3451G-A2 sound chip disappeared?

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> Bert Verbeek wrote:
> >  Dear all,
> >
> >  After extensive reading and trying, I'm stuck in solving the problem
> >  that my MSP3451G-A2 sound chip isn't found anymore on my Pinnacle Studio
> >  PCTV Pro. I have video but no sound.
> >
> >  This happened after an update from:
> >
> >  Pentium III 500 Mhz
> >  ASUS P2-99
> >  SUSE linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.0-4GB
> >  bttv 0.7.50
>
> [ ... ]

> >  Athlon 1.33 Ghz
> >  MSI 6380-le
> >  SUSE linux 7.2, kernel 2.4.4-4GB
> >  bttv 0.7.57
>
> What happens with the old, working kernel/bttv on the new hardware?

Thanks for this very logic advice, I should have thought of this myself,
:-(

I tried that, but ended in exactly the same problem.
But the idea rose that it could be a PCI hardware problem.

I changed the card to another PCI slot and it worked again.

Maybe you can tell me, do the PCI slots differ technically in general,
so I have to pick a certain slot in the future whenever I buy new
hardware, or are the changes that I have a broken slot?

So my problem is 'solved', thanks again Gerd, and keep up this good
work.

Bert Verbeek