V4L2 to-do list, No.2

Again :)

+ Bring Gerd's V4L2 patches into the official release
+ Bring Gerd's multiple capturing opens into official spec
+ New FREQ ioctl for multiple tuners
+ New fields to /proc filesystem support
+ User-space buffers, Gerd's patch (?)
+ Interruptible streams (?)
+ Add two-plane Y/CbCr formats

Gerd Knorr wrote:
> >  + using user-space buffers for streaming capture
>
> A patch to do that without breaking binary compatibility is below.  On
> the other hand I'm not sure whenever it is really a good idea to do
> that:
>
>  * It makes drivers and applications more complex.  We have three ways
>    (read, mmap buffers, userland buffers) to do capture then.
>
>  * Very likely not all drivers will support that, userland buffers are
>    not very efficient for hardware which can not DMA directly to random
>
>  * I see very little use for it.  The classic example (MIT-SHM) is the
>    _only_ application I can think of, and even in this case it will save
>
> Comments?

Looking at your patch, I see no reason not to add it. If nobody wants to
use it, then fine. But if someone is creating a application/driver pair
and has a compelling reason to use it, then there is a standardized way.

I just wonder if there is a system vulerability created by it. If a
malicious or broken app frees buffers while the driver is still hodling
them.

> >  + interruptible streams (e.g. one program watching video, other catching
> Hmm.  Any idea how to do that?  return errors on system calls?  signals?

I was thinking it could be as simple as DQBUF returns a specific error
code.

> >  + add two-plane Y/CbCr pixel formats
> One plane Y and one with CrCb interleaved?

Yes.

> i.e. just one more V4L2_PIX_FMT_xxx?

At least two: for 4:2:0 and 4:2:2. Also maybe CbCr vs. CrCb. A lot of
graphics cards are supporting these for YCbCr-space overlay, textures
and blits. Runs nicely on a dual-pipe accelerator.

Bill.