Re: Re: V4L2 to-do list

Alan Cox wrote:
> > What's with National Semiconductor's "enhanced" version of the V4L2 API?
> > Is that being merged back into the mainstream or are they doing their own
> > thing?
> Nat Semi have had no discussions with the community to my knowledge so
> whatever they are doing seems to be unrelated and pretty much irrelevant
> to the real world

They told me about it, and showed me a demo about a month ago. So far,
I'm just letting it be a driver-specific extension. I haven't looked at
the extensions in detail yet.

On their system, they're mainly just using V4L2 ioctls (plus extensions)
to route the video streams around the hardware in the box. No read(), no
mmap(), no select().

I am not, in principle, against incorporating STB overlay-type functions
into the API, but these devices tend to each have unique architectures
and internal routing and display-combining options. Hard to standardize.

Bill.