Re: Re: V4L2 to-do list

The reason why NSC (aka National Semiconductors) has been silent on their V4L2 project until now is that the Open Source aspect was not part of their initial plans.

In order to get the same source code a few weeks ago, I had to spend some non-negligible time contacting NSC, obtaining and signing a NDA, describing my company and our projects to the NSC french representative, signing some more licence agreements ...

Now, the source is available for the Open Source community and we should say "Bravo !" and thank NSC for this decision. They realized that the best way for encouraging linux developers to work on their Geode platform was the OSS way. Great !!

But how to handle this specific V4L2 implementation ? Personally, I think it would be a bad decision to simply ignore it. In fact, they have added what was missing in the API for their specific needs, and now they give back their changes to the community.

It is time for the "peer-review" process, ins't it ? After that, why not trying to establish a kind of convergence between the official V4L2 and the NSC-specific one ?

Christopher Ross wrote:
Curious, the site didn't ask me to register or such.

I was thinking more along the lines of had *they* (Nat Semi) folded it back into the mix or forked a new version specifically for their machine? Or now are we in the position of having another, different, version? One that works on their machine but not on anything else, but which includes useful stuff it would be nice if they gave back?

This is presumably a different fork from the Nokia stuff, the LinuxTV stuff et. al.

Chris R.