V4L2 to-do list

The biggest question in my mind is should there be structural changes to
videodevX? I think there were roughly three possibilities:
1. videodevX does bare minimum, little beyond doling out minors. Drivers
export a regular fops that is called directly (except for open()) by the
kernel.
2. Drivers export a regular fops interface, but all calls go through
videodevX first. videodevX does more, like moving ioctl parameters
from/to user memory to/from kernel memory
3. Drivers export a designed-for-V4L2 interface, all calls go through
videodevX, and as much boilerplate code as makes sense is done by
videodevX

What's most Linux-like?

--
Here are my TO-DO's briefly:

+ videodevX design philosophy?

+ using user-space buffers for streaming capture

+ multiple tuners (I think the only problem here is that VIDIOC_*_FREQ
doesn't spec which tuner. there is a struct v4l2_frequency that was
never used. we can change VIDIOC_*_FREQ or make a new ioctl)

+ design /proc filesystem support

+ multiple capturing opens spec

+ interruptible streams (e.g. one program watching video, other catching
CC data; first program switches channel/input/etc. so no more CC; second
program is notified that CC stream has ended)

+ add two-plane Y/CbCr pixel formats

+ audio capture API

+ fixes for kernel internal changes in 2.5.x?

Bill.