Re: Re: Video4linux-list digest, Vol 1 #412 - 7 msgs

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:52:06 +0200
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  I'm already demultiplexing the 4 channels to achive 4 video streams per
> >  single bttv device. The problems is archieving higher framerates than
> >  2-3fps per stream by improving the sync speed when switching between
> >  inputs. I'm not asking for 4 channel 25fps capture.
>
> I doubt you can get more than 3 fps per stream.  You have 25 fps total,
> which leaves 6 frames per channel.  One gets lost per channel switch
> (the bt848 needs some time to resync).  3 Frames left ...

As Gerd suggests, the key to getting higher frame rates per channel is
camera synchronisation. Line-locked synchronisation is enough to get you
reliable switching at the maximum frame rate.

In terms of coding, make sure you switch as soon as possible after getting
each image. Depending on CPU loading you might want to run the process
doing the switching under the FIFO real-time scheduler and with its image
locked into memory.

Alan