video newbie questions about webcams

Hello all,

I have been lurking around for the past few days on the list to see if I
can get this answered.

I am thinking about buying a webcam.  I am running redhat 7.1 (with an
updated kernel 2.4.3).

Any suggestions on which cameras I should look at?  USB or not?  I am
willing to spend upto US $150 or so.

I mostly intend to use it to capture pictures of my baby (in Wexford, PA)
so that my family in India can see her.  I am curious to checkout how well
this works (I have a DSL connection and they have a dialup one). I will
connect the camera directly to server, which is at my home.

Also, does the procedure below look OK (more or less)?

get camera
get driver
get xawtv (for example)
make sure the camera is recognized (load driver correctly)
use xawtv to get a jpeg file from /dev/video0 and put it somewhere in the
www area (at some rate)
get the web server to execute a cgi script to read this jpeg file and
refresh (at some rate)

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Pragnesh