Re: Automatically cutting commercials

Those will work now, and maybe for a while in Germany. But they are all easily
defeated, by:

Black frames: don't do them.  Some shows right now have essentially zero black
frames; I end up skipping the start of the show with my VCR because I don't see
it.  I've single-stepped my VCR, and there is almost no black frame(s).  (A
good example: repeats of "SportNights" on Comedy Central (US)).  Also, you
could easily transition to/from ads instead of adding black frames.

Volume detection: obviously, play transition music; don't drop the audio, don't
make the start of commercial louder: turn it up gradually.

Logo: keep the logo up, or morph it so you can't recognize it, etc.

Audio fingerprinting, segment duration: sorry, but ... give me a break!  Image
and audio recognition is primitive.  People have been claiming for 50 years
that voice recognition is "just around the corner", and it still is just that.
The recognition you are talking about is much more difficult - but by all means
work on it; it's useful research if nothing else. And remember: if you are not
100% accurate - say 95% - then you will miss 5% of your shows (false
positives), or to be conservative not skip many commercials (false negatives).
And do they *have to* always play the same music at the beginning of the
Simpsons.

Like I say, all of it can work until it is widely used, at which time the
advertisers will stop paying, the TV providers will lose all their revenues,
and they will then do anything - *anything* - to prevent ad blocking, and they
will succeed.  We US residents understand the power of the moneyed interests,
because they run our country and our government.

In the meantime we can all skip commercials the old-fashioned way: fast-forward
the VCR, or even easier, your PVR if you have one (I don't yet).

Peter K

"The power of observation is called cynicism by those who do not possess it".
(GB Shaw)