Re: Automatically cutting commercials

In your list of 'hints' that a commercial is playing (for analog TV) you
could include some analysis of VBI data.  For example, most commercials
in the US do not display CC data (some do).  You can also look at XDS
data to see if the network is broadcasting its programming information.
I found (in my development work) that some of this is missing when
a commercial is on.

     -- Peter

                    Robert.Siemer
                    @gmx.de              To:     video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx@Internet
                                         cc:     (bcc: Peter Lohmann/Americas/NSC)
                    04/03/01             Subject:     Re:  Automatically cutting commercials
                    03:47 PM

Hi again!

Generally: what I can detect, a program can detect. (:  Okay, this is
a very hard task.

In Germany I usually can see some hints:
-no station logo (usually upper left corner) during ads
-ads are louder
-the ads during a block are separated with a blank screen
-they are announced with a "movie-jingle" carring the letters
 "Werbung" ("ad") somewhere
-meta infos: -length of an ad is something of n*5 sec.
             -the block is about 7 min.
             -max. one block in 30 min.

Example:
  -stealthy fade-out of the station logo while the movie is playing
  -"movie-jingle" (1-2 sec.). Every broadcaster has ~10 different
   jingles/month.
  -black screen (~0.5 sec.)
  -ad (n*5 sec.)
  -black, ad, black, ad...
  -program info (trailer... --> "watch XYZ today 20.15...")
   I don't know much of the characteristics of these
  -movie again; sometimes 30 sec. repeated (stretches the film -->
   more ads allowed...)

Bye,
     Robert