Re: Automatically cutting commercials

XDS contains codes as to a shows content: sports, news, etc.  There is a code
for "advertisement", but after looking at a few hours of tape (US broadcasts:
NBC news, Wheel of Fortune, then various prime-time shows), decoding the XDS,
I never saw an ad actually have that code set - the broadcasters are not dumb.

Also, the XDS info is not continuous; the show is identified only every minute
or so, or less.  So even if the ads identified themselves in XDS, they would
not do so for seconds to minutes into them, and by then you've watched too
much of them already - a few seconds would be far too much.

Automatic ad detection is ultimately doomed to fail, much like the US "Star
Wars" missle defense: the counter-measures will always be easier to implement
than the initial measures.  However, the broadcasters won't bother with
implementing the counter-measures until the "measures" are widely used, so
early-adopter hackers could enjoy commercial-free viewing for a while, until
everyone starts doing it.  Consider "web page scrubbers" that remove those
annoying ads (particularly if flashing) from web pages.  They work mostly
based on the size of the ads, which tend to be standard.  Varying the size a
few pixels in either direction without changing the original image would be
trivial, but I don't think anyone is doing that yet.  The reason: hardly
anybody runs the scrubbers.  I don't, although I guess I would if there was
one for Linux.  When scrubbers become common, then the owners of pages
displaying ads will care, and then scrubbers will be easily defeated.

A previous posting of mine suggests one way (the only way?) to remove
commercials: use a web-based data base with the start/stop times of all
commercials, on all channels, maintained by volunteers who want to watch TV
and do the world a service at the same time.  Or maybe they can be paid, if
anyone can figure out how to make a (legal) business out of it.

Peter K