Re: Automatically cutting commercials

From: "Marco A. Sousa" <marcolinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Alan Cox (alan@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > > There is interesting system: they publish on sunday's newspaper
> > > all the shows with some numbers. If u type this number, the VCR
> > > records the show!

> > It isnt encoded into the tv at all. The numbers are encrypted
> > copies of the (time, length, channel) tuple. (...)

> I saw once a live show with a normal broadcast TV and a satelite TV.
> While in the ads, the normal TV show then.
> But the TV through satelite shows a blank screen, maybe because the
> ads are localized and not shown to all country.

In Germany there exists "ShowView". Usually every tv paper magazin
prints a number next to the start time of the film/show/... . This is
the ShowView-number. It is intended to make the programming of the VCR
easier. Instead of telling your VCR start, stop, channel, etc. you
just type in the number.

A different system, which is unrelated to ShowView and many years
older is "VPS" (Video-Programm-System). This system makes it possible
for the VCR to exactly record what you wanted to. It's based on a
signal from the broadcast station. Broadcasters can assure this way,
that shows/films, which are late, to be completely on the tape.

Interesting: VPS has an "on hold" function. This can pause the VCR
(during trouble (detected by the broadcaster), ads, news, etc.).

The state-aided broadcasters (e.g. ARD, ZDF) send a full-featured VPS
signal. They introduced VPS in 1985.
Only a minority of the private broadcasters send VPS. None of these
sends "on hold"-VPS during ads.

Bye,
	Robert