Re: Automatically cutting commercials

Alan Cox (alan@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > There is interesting system: they publish on sunday's newspaper all the shows
> > with some numbers. If u type this number, the VCR records the show!
> > Dont now about comercials , though. But maybe the VCR can decode the number
> > sent in vertical retrace(timestamp?) .
>
> It isnt encoded into the tv at all. The numbers are encrypted copies of the
> (time, length, channel) tuple.  They crypt them so that people have to pay
> to buy encoders for the tv data!

Oh ,my...
A reply from Alan. For me it is like a answer from God Himself, while praying :)

But here is the blaspheme:
I think u are not totally right :)

I saw once a live show with a normal broadcast TV and a satelite TV.
While in the ads, the normal TV show then.
But the TV through satelite shows a blank screen , maybe because the ads are
localized and not shown to all country.
So ,this is a evidence that they broadcast some info in vertical retrace to
keep the regional repeaters in sync with the ads.

I even adjusted my TV to show the vertical retrace (V-height). So i can see
this interesting stuff realtime.

Regards.
Marco