[V4L] RFC: V4L2 and devfs

I would like to complete the integration of v4l and v4l2 into a single
videodev.[ch] combination, and at the same time finalise 2.4 support.

I just need to resolve a problem with devfs though.  For v4l everything
is fine, because videodev.c provides all minor numbers.  For v4l2, the
minor numbers are provided by each module, through module options. So,
how should the devfs names for these drivers be registered?

Some options that I can see:

1) Ignore user parameters, and register them first come, first serve, as
is done in v4l (I think this could cause problems for people actually
doing video editing though - the devices could change names depending on
which app started first!)

2) Add an extra module option to each driver, eg device_name=video0
(this would break driver compatibility, and can you use strings in
module options??)

3) Register the devices acording to their minor number, and type eg
vbi64 would (typically) be the first vbi device.

I don't really know all the ins and outs of devfs, etc. and would
greatly appreciate any info/comments.

-justin