Re: [V4L] Which MPEG software encoder?

brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Which software MPEG encoder for Linux most fully implements
> that various bits of the MPEG spec.
>
> I.E. rather than being fast, I'd like thorough.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Brian Litzinger <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The one I work on of course ;-) ;-)

Seriously,  as far as I'm aware there are three distinct open source
linux MPEG encoder projects around.

(1)  The one that is part of MJPEG tools project
(mjpeg_play.sourceforge.net) that I hack around on.  This is basically
an improved version of the  MSSG's reference MPEG-1/2 encoder that now
runs fast enough (8 fps on PIII-450 with best quality) to be useful.
My emphasis is on correctness and optimising visual quality.   The
video encoder will happily generate MPEG-2, however, I haven't yet
finished modifying the multiplexer to generate bona-fide MPEG-2 PES
packets.  Rainer Johanni is adding new input code to allow additional
input formats to be easily supported and/or piped input for
transcoding applications. We recently decided to call it "MSSG+" since
it isn't a new encoder in its own right only a gradual improvement on
the MSSG code base.

(2) There is "mp1e" which in its latest developer incarnations does
full MPEG-1 and is extraordinarily fast (there's some really neat MMX
coding and programming in that thar encoder).   I exchanged a few
emails with the developer about motion compensation search algorithms
but haven't heard anything in a while.  The emphasis is on speed.

(3) There's "sampeg" which is an elegant from-scratch C++
implementation of an MPEG-2 encoder that a guy in Germany did for his
M.Sc dissertation.   It's status is a little unclear at present but
may well go GPL very soon. Fundamentally it is a *much* better piece
of code than the MSSG but is a little rough around the edges due to
lack of time for polishing etc. If I'd known about it at the time I'd
definately have used it rather than the MSSG code-base.  It is
possible that he and I may team up for future developments... but in
the meantime I want to get  MSSG+ properly rounded off (MPEG-2 muxing,
better bit-allocation algorithms).

Aside: a lot of the MPEG spec. deals with stuff thats irrelevant to
PC-based video compression + playback.

Andrew