Re: [V4L] RFC: V4L2 and devfs

Justin Schoeman wrote:
> I would like to complete the integration of v4l and v4l2 into a single
> videodev.[ch] combination, and at the same time finalise 2.4 support.
>
> I just need to resolve a problem with devfs though.  For v4l everything
> is fine, because videodev.c provides all minor numbers.  For v4l2, the
> minor numbers are provided by each module, through module options. So,
> how should the devfs names for these drivers be registered?

The _important_ thing is IMHO that the names of the special files in
/dev/ are constant, i.e. if you configured bttv2 to use minor 1, it
should allways end up using /dev/video1.

> 1) Ignore user parameters, and register them first come, first serve, as
> is done in v4l (I think this could cause problems for people actually
> doing video editing though - the devices could change names depending on
> which app started first!)

This is bad.

> 2) Add an extra module option to each driver, eg device_name=video0
> (this would break driver compatibility, and can you use strings in
> module options??)

You can use strings, but I'd use a way where one options works both
with and without devfs.

> 3) Register the devices acording to their minor number, and type eg
> vbi64 would (typically) be the first vbi device.

That's IMHO the way to go.  Use a mapping like this:

	minor   0  =>  video0
	minor   1  =>  video1
	minor  64  =>  radio0
	minor  65  =>  radio1
	minor 224  =>  vbi0
	minor 225  =>  vbi1

I think soundcore has the same problem, might be useful to look how
it is solved there.

  Gerd

--
Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults who cant
stand up for themselves.		-- seen in some sig on /.