Re: [V4L] RFC: V4L2 and devfs

Justin Schoeman wrote:
> 1) Ignore user parameters, and register them first come, first serve, as
> is done in v4l (I think this could cause problems for people actually
> doing video editing though - the devices could change names depending on
> which app started first!)

Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!

> 2) Add an extra module option to each driver, eg device_name=video0
> (this would break driver compatibility, and can you use strings in
> module options??)

You can, and I vote for this one. The incompatibility is not visible to
apps, so as long as the sysadmin knows what change to make to
/etc/conf.modules it shouldn't be problem. Eh?

> 3) Register the devices acording to their minor number, and type eg
> vbi64 would (typically) be the first vbi device.

But V4L2 doesn't have a prescribed relationship between minors and
device types. Are people using e.g. /dev/vbi64 instead of /dev/vbi0,
etc.?

Bill.