Re: Re: Recommended kernel patches for video capture

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 23:17, suriya mohan wrote:
> Hi steven,
>   If at all any frame dropping occurs, then it is not due to the
> driver we use. If you try frame capturing in desktop linux then frame
> dropping will occur rather should occur. Because the processor is not
> dedicated. If u try this in any embedded device like set-top box or
> PVR then you will probably have good result. So I think there will not
> be any problem with the patches we apply to the kernel source.
>
> Any comments from others in the group regarding this ?

Is there any indication why the capture is dropping frames? I'm a rank
newbie at this, having just tried DV capture for the first time
yesterday. I had problems with 'dvgrab' keeping up until I discovered
that I had neglected to compile in specific support for the motherboard
chipset. Once that was done, I was able to capture without dropping
frames until my hard drive was full. But that's a different problem. In
any case, the warnings produced by 'dvgrab' clearly indicated that
writing to the hard drive was not keeping up. Also compiling the correct
chipset drivers allow disk I/O to use DMA and this reduced CPU load from
about 50% to about 5% as reported by 'top.'

For reference this is a Sony Vaio laptop with 750 MHz P-III, 256MB RAM
and 20 GB hard drive. The kernel is 2.4.22 custom compiled but no
patches applied save a one line fix to scanner.c (USB scanner bug.)

--
Hank Barta
Beautiful Sunny Winfield