Help... v4l2 problems

Hi all...

I'm completely confused. In one machine, I developed a program that uses
the v4l2 API and works fine. On another machine it doesn't. I cannot find
what went wrong, and I need the thing urgently (of course).

The machine that works is kernel 2.4.20, I applied the patch, and use an
SAAxxx chip there. Works A-ok.

The new machine has 2.4.22 installed, and I applied the 2.4.22-3 patch
from bytesex.org. I enabled all the options (I think), and recompiled.
Here I have a Pinnacle PCTV (nothing else - no pro/sat/...) 'dmesg' shows
the card is recognized as a type 39, and no errors are reported.

xawtv works just excellent. So does ttv, and a few others.

v4l-info gives me info, but obtained thru v4l1 (VIDEOCGCAP), so it does
not recognize v4l2.

v4l-conf says:
/dev/video0 [v4l2] ioctl VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: Invalid argument, then
/dev/video0 [v4l]: configuration done.

I didn't see v4l2-common loaded, so I modprobed it manually, no
difference. Same with v4l1-compat. I do not have 'Load "v4l"' in either
machine in the XF86Config, so I guess this is not necessary.

My program relies on v4l2 - Should I change the program to be able to use
v4l?

Could it have something to do with not having sound installed in the new
machine?

I've seen quite a few references to the v4l-conf message, but no real
answers.

HELP!... I'd really appreciate some hints!

John