Re: Newbie problems: SAA7134 (some progress made)

Hello Wieslaw and Hermann. Thanks to you guys, some progress has been
made :)

But still I can't watch TV, I will try to explain.

Op do 09-10-2003, om 02:33 schreef hermann pitton:

> Hi,
>
> we know two cards from Aldi with the saa7134 chip. The Tevion 9717 (that
> is the md9717 card=6 tuner=5) and the md7134 combo, which includes a
> onboard modem or isdn device. The last one is usually sold with complete
> computer systems, but small amounts are on the market and also used ones
> out of those systems. This card has been delivered with two different
> tuner types and is also working.
>
> So I would like to assume you have bought a md9717, but what I don't
> like is, that you say Avermedia is printed on it, because that I can not
> see on mine.
>
> You can go to
> http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/bttv/bttv-gallery.html and
> search in your browser for md9717. With the picture there you can
> verify, if you have that card.

No, it looks sort of similar but it is a positively a very different
card. I have posted a picture here:
<http://member.prolinea.org/~olav/dsc03582.jpg> (139 K). Sorry for the
bad image quality, but I had to photograph through a cheap magnifying
glass - my camera lacks sharpness in the range from 0 to 50 cm. I have
also scaled down the picture a bit.

You can still see clearly how the card has AverMedia printed on it
(bottom of the picture, upside down).

The tuner is Philips FM1216ME. I have printed "7134" on the JPG picture,
where I found the main chip.

The thing was sold as Medion, like you can see on
<http://member.prolinea.org/~olav/dsc03582.jpg> (98 k). Box, manual,
remote are all labeled Medion.

>From the side of the box:

MD 2819 10/03
MSN 5000 9514

So I guess this will be known as the Medion MD 2819 TV Card?

> Then you can use the config from Wieslaw and set for X 6 and for Y 5
> (twice :) and do a "depmod -a" thereafter.

I did this in /etc/modules.conf:

        alias char-major-81 videodev
        alias char-major-81-0 saa7134
        options saa7134 card=6 tuner=38
        options tuner=38

... because I found "38" for the tuner on
<http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/BttvPage>. I cannot find
my actual card there, so I sticked to the value of "6" (for Avermedia
TVPhone).

> "modprobe saa7134" will load the driver.

Yes, I did that (a couple of times maybe). I need not repeat this after
my PC had been off, do I?

>  On newer kernels I have seen it is just enough to do
> "modprobe saa7134 card=6" ... in that case also make sure not a webcam
> got the /dev/video0, or you must tell xawtv and tvtime that it is on
> /dev/video1 or whereever. On RH also control, that /dev/video and
> /dev/dsp are symbolic links to /dev/video0 and /dev/dsp0. After loading
> the driver you should do a "dmesg" to see what has happened or not. In
> case something is going wrong "dmesg > dmesg.txt" gives you a file you
> can attach to an email ...

Well, what is wrong or not I cannot say at this moment.

After editing /etc/modules.conf as mentioned above and doing depmod and
modprobe like you mentioned (no idea what those commands actually do,
but hey), and after I rebooted my computer (for another reason) I can
actually see static in xawtv. It is really TV static, because I can see
pictures through the static in some channels, but that's all really.

I tried scantv, entered PAL and West-European frequency table but it
cannot find any station.

Maybe one of you will know how to proceed next?