Re: Newbie problems: SAA7134

Es schrieb Wieslaw Kierbedz:

> on 08-10-2003 23:13, yeah@xxxxxxxxxxxx at yeah@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello Wieslaw,

> >> check your /etc/modules.conf
> >> thats section for tv card on saa7134 chip:
> >>
> >> alias char-major-81    videodev
> >> alias char-major-81-0    saa7134
> >> options saa7134    card=<X> tuner=<Y>
> >> options tuner type=<Y>
> >> # optionally - I need to define it twice - I do not now why
> >
> > Sorry, what do you define twice?
> >
> >> Replace X with number equal to your cord type and Y with tuner number
> >
> > Where do I find those?
> >
> >> tou can find info about that at http://bytesex.org/saa7134
> >
> > I can't seem to find anything on *that* site (even tried before posting
> > my question here). Please remember, it's Joe End-user you are talking to
> > here. Just want my weather girl on the computer screen :)
> >
> > I am also really willing to learn a bit about the technical matters
> > involved, and I consider myself no idiot. But there really is a gigantic
> > treshold. No information/documentation in this field of video4linux,
> > xawtv and such seems to be aimed at the entry level people like me...
> >
> >> Thats the basic.
> >
> > I was hoping it was that basic...
> >
> > Thank you sincerely for answering, but it leaves me only with more
> > questions :)
> >
> > I really don't blame you, honestly, but maybe you or someone else could
> > try to explain some of these things in normal human language?
> card=0 -> UNKNOWN/GENERIC
> card=  1 -> Proteus Pro [philips reference design]   [1131:2001]
> card=  2 -> LifeView FlyVIDEO3000
> card=  3 -> LifeView FlyVIDEO2000
> card=  4 -> EMPRESS                                  [1131:6752]
> card=  5 -> SKNet Monster TV                         [1131:4e85]
> card=  6 -> Tevion MD 9717
> card=  7 -> KNC One TV-Station RDS
> card=  8 -> Terratec Cinergy 400 TV                  [153B:1142]
> card=  9 -> Medion 5044
> card= 10 -> Kworld/KuroutoShikou SAA7130-TVPCI
> card= 11 -> Terratec Cinergy 600 TV                  [153B:1143]

Hi,

we know two cards from Aldi with the saa7134 chip. The Tevion 9717 (that
is the md9717 card=6 tuner=5) and the md7134 combo, which includes a
onboard modem or isdn device. The last one is usually sold with complete
computer systems, but small amounts are on the market and also used ones
out of those systems. This card has been delivered with two different
tuner types and is also working.

So I would like to assume you have bought a md9717, but what I don't
like is, that you say Avermedia is printed on it, because that I can not
see on mine.

You can go to
http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/bttv/bttv-gallery.html and
search in your browser for md9717. With the picture there you can
verify, if you have that card.

Then you can use the config from Wieslaw and set for X 6 and for Y 5
(twice :) and do a "depmod -a" thereafter. "modprobe saa7134" will load
the driver. On newer kernels I have seen it is just enough to do
"modprobe saa7134 card=6" ... in that case also make sure not a webcam
got the /dev/video0, or you must tell xawtv and tvtime that it is on
/dev/video1 or whereever. On RH also control, that /dev/video and
/dev/dsp are symbolic links to /dev/video0 and /dev/dsp0. After loading
the driver you should do a "dmesg" to see what has happened or not. In
case something is going wrong "dmesg > dmesg.txt" gives you a file you
can attach to an email ...

Good Luck,
Hermann