Re: Multi-port video card support

> On Monday 21 July 2003 13:06, Trey Waters wrote:
> > I've found a few cards based off the BT878A chipset, and it looks like
> > they should be supported ok as far as the driver goes, but I'm skeptical
> > on whether or not each port will have its own /dev/videoN interface.  I've
> > tried searching for more info, but can't find any.
>
> On my Linux Media Labs LMLBTM44's all four 878's show up as a separate
> /dev/videoN.  So you get (with no other video devices) /dev/video0 through
> video3.

	I have the same card here.  I'm writing a front end DVR (for
security - based on "motion") for a small company.  It's actually a
pretty nice card,  but wouldn't work very well for a Tivo type system
(no tuner).  Video devices are split up like Lamar said..
/dev/videoN (0-3).   I've used port 0 and 1 with full motion (at
352x288 and 640x480) with no problems.  I'm using the 2.4.20 kernel
(without the Linux Media drivers).   Another nice thing about this
setup,  though I have not tested it,  while "motion" (motion.sf.net)
is using /dev/video0 and /dev/video1,  I _think_ I can use port 2 and
3 with other applications without interfering with motion (ie - not
conflicting - device busy.. etc).

If I'm right,  this would make it nice for converting home VCR format
movies...   and keeping the "security system" up.   I haven't gotten
audio to work with the card (though, i haven't tried to hard either).

It's a nice video card.   It's a little high priced,  but it's made very
well (the design,  layout, etc).   It's based on the BT878, so you'll
need a decent CPU and I/O with that many video ports.

				- Champ Clark

Oh yeah..  I had much better luck using the standard kernel,  and a
non-patched "motion"..