Re: multiple open()'s on the same device

Reply to the mail from Gleicon Moraes (gleicon@xxxxxxxxxxxx):

> Hi.
>
> That page stats what we all already know: they are selling a
> surveillance system that can be expanded, and claim that you can get 30
> fps from each board.
> It`s hard to tell you if it is made in Brazil or outside, but seems like
> a very common bt878 designs.
> I saw some Win32 based software give, or at least do a good mimic, high
> framerates. Usually they dont peak at 30 fps, but the visual effect is
> very convincing. I dont know if they work with a kind of interpolation,
> spliting the ood and even fields and building distinct images...
> Personally, I can understand the input sync problem and why we can`t get
> more frames per second while capturing and changing inputs.
> But it sure does bother me. I`ve never put my hands in the source code
> for a driver or application under Win32, because usually its closed
> source or need the proper N.D.A. signed.

To get high frame rates from multiple inputs on a single Bt878, the
sources have to be synchronized ( ie. all cameras start to capture a frame
at the same time ) to reduce settling time. Also the card would need a faster
multiplexer than the Bt878 provides.

There are some cards with external multiplexers which act faster and allow fast
switching of the inputs.

If you are interested in a Bt878 driver for windows, look here: btwincap.sourceforge.net
This driver is GPLed.

 -Arne