Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Vidiot (brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> >> Fatal flaw in your info. While the DV and MPEG standard has black
> >> at 16 and white at 234.  Setup black is at about 32.  More below.
> >
> >  If a device puts it at 32 then it's a bug.
>
> Are you calling the NTSC standard a bug?

  No, but NTSC in North America uses setup of 7.5% and equipment that is
intended to record broadcast signals and ignores that I would consider
to be buggy.

> Are you calling Sony, one of the biggest names in industry standard
> television products, bug makers?

  Well this is why I was asking for specific examples of cameras or
recorders, since I want to know how they were intended to be used.  In
my opinion though, if you have a consumer DV camera with analog inputs,
I would consider it a bug if they took analog NTSC input and mapped 0
IRE to black.

> >> If only it were so.  As I said in my posting, most consumer and
> >> pro-sumer devices DO NOT remove NTSC setup when converting to DV.
> >> The 7.5 IRE black level gets recorded at 32.  It has to be done in
> >> software, otherwise the setup level will get transferred to VCD
> >> and/or DVD recordings.
> >
> >  What's an example of a camera or transcoder that does this?
>
> I hate to say this, but your above question makes me believe you never
> read what I wrote in the paragraph that you quoted.

  I'm sorry, I really did read it, and I thank you for your patience.
I've been learning a lot from this discussion.  However, you did
misunderstand me as I did mean camera.  The GL-1 has analog inputs just
fine, and by transcoder I'm sorry, I meant recorder box like the DSR-40
DVCAM recorder which I have used in the past.

  That said, research shows that at least on the analog outputs for the
DSR-40, they don't add setup.  Sigh.  I do believe you that these
devices exist and operate like this.

  However!  This really has nothing to do with DV itself, this is all
the fault of the device.  Any DV file where black is at 32 instead of 16
is broken and the result of a hardware misconfiguration.   Fixing it in
software is a band-aid solution, you've lost way too much resolution.
Don't use hardware that wasn't intended to record broadcast video if
that's your application.  Software should never see these broken files.

> Hopefully this dialog has made you think about it and double-check the
> equipment you are using.  By "you" I mean anyone reading this list.

  I know I'll definitely watch out for this.  Thanks.

  -Billy