Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Steven Ellis (pinguellis@xxxxxxxxxxx):

> >   Capturing full 720x480 is easy on modern hardware.
>
> well i'm trying to capture lossless PAL at the moment and I can't find
> a way to get HUFFYUV to work correcttly with my SAA7134 based card.
> FFMPEG directly drops lots of frames, and ffmpegrec won't work with
> huffyuv at the moment.
>
> Anyone got an example of capture at full PAL/NTSC resolution that
> won't cause massive frame drops.

  Well tvtime is a proof-of-concept that you can do a lot with full
resolution video bandwidths in memory, I think the issue is disk speed
when you want to store to disk.

  I wrote a simple capture program that uses my lossless codec.
Capturing full 720x480x29.97 to memory is easy, and compression time is
small.  On typical content I see about 50% compression, so that brings
the stream down to about 10 megabits/second.  The you just have to write
that out to disk quickly.

  It's not that bad though on modern systems.  I haven't tried recently
but just asking the one user I know of my app on #livid, he says he's
doing 720x480x29.97 just fine without framedrops.

  I'll admit that I haven't worked on my capture app and stuff in about
a year and a half now.  Sometime soon I want to record some VHS tapes to
MPEG-2 though so I might revive it.

  -Billy